Ulsan Petroglyph Museum is the one and only petroglyph museum in Korea which was opened in May, 2008 to introduce Ulsan Bangudae Petroglyphs (National Treasure No. 285) and Cheonjeon-ri Engraved Stones (National Treasure No. 147) and to lead the national studies on petroglyph. The Museum displays information of domestic and foreign petroglyphs including Bangudae and Cheonjeon-ri Petroglyphs and various articles which help visitors to understand the natural enviroment of the Prehistoric Ulsan alongj with the lives and cultures of the Prehistoric people. The Museum also offers various cultural events so that visitors can take a rest and enjoy cultural experiences.
Bangudae Petroglyphs were engraved on the rocky cliff which is located about 1.2 kilometers down by Daegokcheon River from the Museum. The rock surface where most of the drawings were found has a width of 8 meters and a height of 5 meters. There are several more rock surfaces where drawings can be found around the central rock. About 20 types of animals can be seen on the petroglyphs including sea animals of whale, turtle, seal, water bird, shark and fish, and land animals of tigers, panthers, wild boars, deer, wolves, fox and raccoons. In addition, about 300 drawings of hunting and fishing tools including boats, harpoons, floats, weirs and nets, and full-length drawings of humans and faces can also be found. It is assumed that Bangudae Petroglyphs were created before 7,000 to 3,500 BC of the Neolithic Age based on the results of the geographical environment research and archeological comparative study. Ad Bangudae Petroglyphs are a site reflecting the unique maritime fishery culture of the North Pacific coasts and the first whale hunting relics of mankind, the site is listed on the Potential World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
Cheonjeon-ri Engraved Stones can be found 1.2 kilometers down by Daegokcheon River from the Museum. The Engraved Stones are called "Gakseok" in Korean because inscriptions and sophisticated drawings of the Silla Dynasty are engraved together with petroglyphs on the stones. The rock surface has a width of 10 meters and a height of 2 meters with a 15°slope. The upper part of the surface has various patterns of animals, concentric circles, spirals, waves, letters and rhombuses which are assumed to be of the Bronze Age as those patterns can also be found on the mirrors and swords of the Bronze Age. The lower part of the surface has sophisticated drawings of parades, sailing boats, horses and dragons engraved by sharp metal tools and inscriptions of the records which are assumed to be from the period of the King Beopheung in the Silla era. They are considered to be important references for the archeological studies. Cheonjeon-ri Engraved Stones are also listed on the Potential World Heritage Sites by UNESCO together with Bangudae Petroglyphs.
Opening Hours : 09:00 to 18:00 (final entrance by 17:30)
Closing Day : Every Mondays (When Monday is a holiday the closing day will be Tuesday), January 01
Gyeongbu Expressway : West Ulsan IC ▶ National Highway No. 35 to Gyeongju ▶ Access Road to Bangudae Petroglyphs ▶ Museum
Ulsan-Miryang National Highway : No. 24 Highway to Gyeongju ▶ National Highway No. 35 to Gyeongju ▶ Access Road to Bangudae Petroglyphs ▶ Museum
Gyeongju National Highway No. 35 : Highway to Eonyang ▶ Access Road to Bangudae Petroglyphs ▶ Museum
Ulsan Ariport : Get on Buses 402 or 422 ▶ Transfer at Sinbok Rotary to Buses 1703, 1713 or 1723 ▶ Transfer at Eonyang to Buses 308, 313, or 318 ▶ Get Off at Cheonjeon Three-Way Intersection ▶ Walk (Half an Hour) ▶ Museum
KTX Ulsan Station : Get on Buses 327, 337, 807, 1703 or 5004 ▶ Transfer at Eonyang to Buses 308, 313, or 318 ▶ Get Off at Cheonjeon Three-Way Intersection ▶ Walk (Half an Hour) ▶ Museum
Taehwagang River Station (Ulsan Station in the Past) : Get on Buses 327, 337, 807, 1703, 1713 or 1723 ▶ Transfer at Eonyang to Buses 308, 313, or 318 ▶ Get Off at Cheonjeon Three-Way Intersection ▶ Walk (Half an Hour) ▶ Museum
Intercity Bus Terminal : Get on Buses 327, 337, 807, 1703, 1713 or 1723 ▶ Transfer at Eonyang to Buses 308, 313, or 318 ▶ Get Off at Access Road to Bangudae Petroglyphs ▶ Walk (40 Minutes) ▶ Museum